Kerr County has a few properties that are on the National Register of Historic Places and occasionally people like to live close to or around these historical places. This could be based on home values, style or just the idea of a vintage or historical place. To qualify for this registry the United States federal government must deem the site, building, structure or object worthy of preservation. The National Historic Preservation Act was established in 1966 and currently there are over 1 million properties on the register. This type of property may also qualify for tax incentives derived from the total value of expenses incurred preserving the property.
There are six listings in Kerr County Texas that qualify for the national historic register.
The Guthrie building located in Kerrville. It was listed in 2007 and is located at 241 Earl Garrett St. This is one of the oldest buildings in the county originally constructed in 1887.
Masonic building also located in Kerrville, which was built in 1890. The Kerrville Masonic Lodge #697 made it’s home in the building until 1927. The first floor was home to a post office and later a grocery store. It was listed on the register of historic places in 1984 and was completely restored during that time using rare woods and special craftsman.
Old Camp Verde is located in Camp Verde on Camp Verde Road. It was listed in 1973 and was originally a United States Army facility established back in 1856. This was the headquarters for US Camel Corps, which experimented with camels as pack animals in the southwestern United States. It was abandoned in 1869 by the Texas State historic marker stands by the entrance gate on what is now private land.
Capt. Charles Schreiner mansion, located in Kerrville at 216 Earl Garrett St. It was listed on the registry in 1975 but was a recorded Texas historic landmark back in 1962. It is currently the home of the Hill Country Museum operated by the Schreiner University.
Tulahteka, also known as the Lewis A Schreiner mansion, was listed in 1982 and is just south of downtown on State Route 16. This property is currently on private land and presently houses the headquarters of the LD Brinkman Corporation.
Woolls Building, located in Center Point on San Antonio St. is believed to be the oldest building in the small town. It was listed on the registry in 2002. The building was remodeled in 1940 and has seen several renovations over the years. It is currently a special events facility.
According to the Kerr County historical commission, there are several other historical markers throughout the county but these are the main buildings that are listed on the national register of historical places. If you’re interested in learning more about historical homes in the area, vintage architecture or properties that fit a certain design and style contact my office today.